Continuing the walk through our history, this time looking at the month of June over the years.
- On 20th June 1951 Mrs Lyne, Lady Mayoress, officially opened the first ever laundrette in elderly accommodation at Strathedon (pictured right).
- In June 1953 the Evening Post (now Bristol Post) sponsored ‘Tour of the Lights’ which carried 600 mostly housebound elderly around Bristol in volunteers’ cars – no mean feat in the days before mass car ownership!
- In June 1993 Brunelcare’s Robinson House, Saffron Court, and St John’s Court were opened. St John’s Court was our first sheltered housing scheme built with warden-call technology; Robinson House and Saffron Court introduced a new generation of nursing homes.
For more details see Our June History